Sunday, December 5, 2010

Alarm Clock

On a regular basis, I rely on my alarm clock. Without my alarm clock I could not wake up in time for work or class. Not only do I use the alarm clock in the morning but also in the middle of the day when I take naps. The alarm clock sends a message to my brain that tells my body to wake up. The alarm clock also is a way for me to see what time it is and to set the alarm to go off at a certain time. An alarm clock can also be used to notify someone that it is time to do something else. This form of technology is crucial to not only myself but many people in today's society.

Today, people are awakening each morning to the sound of their alarm. The idea that the alarm will startle the sleeper and then the sleeper will get up and ready for their day. The alarm clock can be used by many people for many different reasons. The alarm clock can be seen as a necessary spectacle. Debord states, “The modern society is a society of the spectacle now goes without saying”. The alarm clock is a spectacle in today’s society. Modern culture consists of people working and going to school. People follow daily routines and schedules. For me, my alarm clock is a spectacle.

7 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting that you called your alarm clock a spectacle. I usually thought of the spectacle idea as being about events and activities that we do. It was an interesting approach to describe your alarm clock as a spectacle and I can see what you mean. Without an alarm clock daily life would be extremely different: I use mine to wake up in the morning and after naps, as well as for other random things. I never really thought about how important it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never realized how important my alarm clock is also.. I too didn't think of it as a spectacle, but at the same time, it is the thing that starts the other events of the day. If I didn't wake up to my alarm clock, things would domino and the days events would turn out bad. But when I do wake up to my alarm, I know that that event, leads to all of the others my day has in store for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you said that your alarm clock is a spectacle. In my interpretation, without the alarm clock, one would not be able to wake up at a certain time to greet the day. The alarm clock would kind of be like a signifier to the spectacles waiting to be seen throughout the day.If I did not set my alarm clock or forgot to do so, then I would be out of routine because we are so used to waking up to the alarm clock and doing everything in a timely manner. Just like in the Youtube videos discussion we had of autotuning, everything they did was a routine, a schedule. And when something does not go in the order in which we usually expect, we get held back or in a way, surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious, is your alarm clock a plain (what we might now call "old fashioned") alarm clock or is it an alarm on your phone? If it's an alarm on your phone then that would relate to the whole cell phone dependence theme that's been discussed in other posts. It's crazy to think how many uses cell phones have now days aside from simply making a phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure that I agree with your comment that the alarm is a spectacle, but I think (and i appoligize if im wrong) that you meant to say that the alarm clock exhibits and perpetuates the spectacle, as it allows, and overtime has forced, people to maintain strict schedules and adhere to societal pressures of productivity within limits of time. Alarms clocks have also had consequences of new generations relying on the use of alarm clocks, as well as work place and school pressures to be precisly on time every day due to expectations of alarm clocks, which has also changed abilities and values of our society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that alarm clocks have become very important for a lot of people. I think they perform a very basic function though, just waking someone up isn't really a spectacle, but I agree with Debbie, maybe the alarm clock perpetuates the spectacle by waking everyone up to start their day. I personally just use my cell phone and I know how mad I get when I set it wrong the night before so I know how important it is for me to wake up when I need to everyday. I think it's a good close read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always good to be on time and i think it shows good character. Alarm clocks are definitely a useful tool in everyday life but they are made to be super annoying. I would suggest opening your blinds and wake up with the sun. it's a wonderful way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete