Sunday, December 5, 2010

Close Reading of Laptop Computers (Assignment 6)

Though some few people are still using desktops, laptops obviously have a profound effect on our culture. Soon enough desktops will be non-existent. I'm pretty sure they are not sold in stores anymore. If they are, there certainly are not many of them. Laptops are everywhere. I particularly find it interesting to look at college students' usage of laptops alone. But for the sake of this assignment, I'll mainly talk about the use of laptops among all ages.

Currently, laptops/computers are not just something one uses casually and occasionally, they are one of the main means of entertainment in American society. Today, people have a very strong dependence on laptops and use them for just about everything. Laptops are used professionally in the business world and in schools as a means to get work done in an efficient manner. Laptops are also used in one's free time in a variety of ways; people can watch movies, play games, listen to music, use social networking websites, read the news, create websites, blogs, etc. and so much more using laptops. Laptops are being used for so many various purposes and are as much of a necessity as basic house utilities our culture.

Laptops can easily be traced back to McLuhan's idea of media being an "extension of man" and the idea that "the medium is the message". These concepts are very apparent with laptops. Today, laptops are a very ingrained part of our culture; especially amongst adolescences and young adults. From my own personal experience, I can definitely say that I would be lost without a laptop. My Toshiba laptop is something I do not leave my dorm without. I use my laptop to take notes in all of my classes (if they allow laptops), to keep in touch with my family, to listen to music and (of course) to cure boredom by going on facebook. I know I am not the only one like this, either. This is a clear example of how my laptop is basically an "extension of myself".

The rapid expansion of technology (more specifically, laptops) can also be related to the article "The World is Flat" and the concept of globalization. Because the internet allows for expansion over seas in a matter of seconds, it is making the world smaller. Today, it is easier than ever to be in contact with friends back at home when traveling or with a friend who lives over seas. This technology has reached all regions of the globe and is making the world smaller, but perhaps also more connected.

2 comments:

  1. I also did my post about laptops! You made an interesting point when you brought up McLuhan's ideas about an extension of man. That is a really good description of a laptop: they are definitely ingrained in our culture and I agree when you say that you would feel lost without your laptop. I use mine for almost everything (social life, shopping, school, planning trips, etc), and it seems crazy that people didn't have this ability in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I noticed you did yours on the laptop too after I posted this, maybe I should've done another topic.

    I actually feel like just about any new technology that is used primarily for entertainment can be connected to McLuhan's "extention of man". I think cell phones, laptops, iPods/MP3's, video games, etc. all would fit into McLuhan's piece.

    ReplyDelete