Sunday, December 5, 2010

Paintbrush


If there is an object that I used most regularly on a day to day basis it would be a paintbrush. I have an entire collection of some old some new, of all sizes, which I use to produce paintings. I do have a favorite in this bunch, an old wood brush with horsehair. It is stained with many colors and the finish is chipping away. When I hold this brush in my hand I am controlled by spontaneity and my mind clears. The brush is an extension of my being. Its role is to aid in the production of “beautiful” images, beauty being subjective of course. It is designed to apply paint in such way that reduces unnecessary effort. Its long handle provides comfort and control. The bristles apply paint in a smooth uniform way. The old, worn, and tattered brush contradicts the “beauty” of the final product.

The paintbrush is a symbol of the artist and the art it is creating. There are many connotations about artist including that they are deranged or have psychological issues, and frequent drug use. Artists also have always been regarded as highly intellectual, such artists as Picasso or Salvador Dali were known to be geniuses. The image of the artist has changed dramatically over time. Art used to be a craft, studied for years and years by strict study under a master. Paintings were limited to only religious images. Now anyone with a couple bucks can wield a brush and paint whatever they choose. I believe it was Mcluhan that stated technology has transformed old craft into what we would now call an art form. For example factories can mass-produce a cup, but when someone hand makes one it is art. Now, our senses have been overloaded with advertising and digital images; it is overwhelming. My paintbrush embodies an old tradition and an anti-digital world; this is why I use it every day.

8 comments:

  1. I really like the object you chose for your close read. A majority of the blog posts this week are about iPhones, iPods, and laptops which proves your point of how our view of the artist and art has changed. Anyone can create and share via the internet today (like with Facebook), but it doesn’t necessarily replace or compare to the genuine product of traditional/"anti-digital world" art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The way you describe the paintbrush is very genuine. I like that you chose something that has nothing to do with technology. It was a nice step back from all of the media crazed pieces of equipment that have taken over this blog. I think many people have forgotten about the simple things in life that are still very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this post! I agree with Sani that it was refreshing to read about something without a power-on switch. Painting is one of the art forms I wish I had the talent to do, and I've always been envious of those who can paint! Last year in a digital photography class I discovered a program that could create a 'painting version' of a photo, and the resemblance was astounding. It was hard to tell that the image wasn't actually real! This mass production of images has definitely taken away from the true art of looking at an original painting or sketch and knowing there never is, was, or will be anything quite like it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great close reading! I agree with Courtney on how it was very clever how you picked something non-media based like me, and everyone else seemed to choose. It was very original, and showed something about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else, I think you chose a great and unique topic. You definitely seem to have an artist's mind. I've never really considered the symbolism and meaning behind a paintbrush to an artist. Your post shows that objects many of us take for granted and/or don't think much of can actually be very symbolic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Jake! This is really interesting. It's great to see how you've compared art throughout the ages and how it has changed. It's completely unique and I think it out of everyone else's topic this was the most personal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone for the nice comments

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was really cool that you selected a paintbrush for your object. Most of the posts, including mine, were all about technology. It's great to see that you place so much importance on something that isn't revolved around technology. It was interesting how you called your paint brush an extension of you because it helps you create beautiful images and art. I liked your example that related to McLuhan's readings about how new technologies make old ones into art forms. Great example with the factory processed cups vs. the hand painted ones.

    ReplyDelete